Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bangus Sardines at Balingasag

Bangus Sardines
It was already almost noon when I was to decide where to eat our lunch from our long travel. At 11:30 in the morning , I was yet at the vicinity of Balingoan, Misamis Oriental and in my estimate Cagayan de Oro is still more than an hour away given my speed at below 100 kph. So I decided to have lunch at the biggest municipality before the big three (Jasaan, Villanueva and Tagoloan) and that is no other than Balingasag.  

Balingasag is my choice as sometime ago, I was able to see facebook pictures of my friends who are taking breakfast at some kind of a seaside place.  Balingasag has a boulevard where people spend time during early mornings and late afternoons to relax.  

There's a small plaza near the Boulevard. Inside it is a carinderia called Memory Square that served homemade foods. The one that catch my attention is the Bangus Sardines.  I really suspect that it is a sardines at first because of its oil. The attendant later confirmed it.  Its no surprise because Bangus is the primary product of Balingasag town.  You can even see the fishpens that dotted the waters off the town.

The food is cheap. My family ordered two slices of Bangus sardines, a pork knuckle cooked in Chinese style with black tausi, 4 servings of rice and a 12 oz Coke.  We only pay P150 for the entire meal. Something we are concerned because we really thought the cashier just made a mistake in counting our bills.

One of the "Atlas" figures at Vega Ancestral House
After our cheap but hearty meal, we took some pictures before heading to Cagayan de Oro. Their Municipal Hall is huge, that it looks more like a Capitol Building.  And there's that iconic Vega Ancestral House that never fails to mesmerize me of its antiquity.  Their town plaza is worth visiting too and its ideal in late afternoons and late evenings.

Balingasag Municipal Building
Balingasag is blessed with good infrastructures and good leaders. Among the notable political personalities who hailed from the town is former Misamis Oriental Governor and now Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno and 1st District Congressman Pedro Unabia.

Balingasag, Misamis Oriental...its worth a visit.


No comments: